Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I wrote this as a note on my facebook and wanted to post it on here as well
Hey my fellow Christians. I have an honest question. Do you feel self-conscious in crowds? Maybe you're afraid to pray out loud during a Bible study where everyone can hear you. Maybe you're nervous to read a passage from the Bible out loud in a group setting because you may stutter, mispronounce a word or lose your place. Maybe you've been feeling called to stand in front of your church or family and talk about Jesus, yet you hesitate. Why do you hesitate? You feel like everyone's eyes are on you. You worry about what they may think of you. Today is the day to get past those fears and stand up in front of everyone.

Most of us feel self-conscious in front of crowds and would much prefer to blend in with everyone else like a chameleon rather than be singled out. Imagine how self-conscious you may feel if you were deformed in any way or had something unusual or different about you that might cause people to stare. Mark 3:3 "Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Stand up in front of everyone." The man stood up and upon further instruction from Jesus, he stretched his hand out and his hand was fully restored in verse 5.

So why did Jesus ask the man with the shriveled hand to stand up? Why does Jesus ever ask us to step out in front of people? Why does he single us out at times? It isn't because he wants us to feel humiliated or feel like we're being made a spectacle of. When God singles us out from the crowd and asks us to stand up in front of everyone, it's because hes about to do something amazing that will bring him glory. The man with the shriveled hand was healed. What does God want to do in your life? You're going to have to stand up in front of everyone to find out.

This has been a huge area of difficulty in me for the longest time and has also been a huge area of change in me within the last few months. I used to be so afraid to be singled out, but I've really learned to plunge forward and just do it. I prayed out loud in front of a group for the first time ever a few months ago and I led my first Bible study discussion a few weeks ago. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's not always easy taking that step forward, but I can assure you that God is doing something amazing in my life right now to bring him glory. It's is because I have chosen to stand up in front of everyone. I try not to have fear about what others may think of me because in all honesty, this is about God. Fear is lack of faith guys. Remember that.

-Your sister in Christ


A friend of mine commented this and here's part of my response
While I've definitely come a LONG way in building up more confidence in stepping up to the plate without worrying about what others think of me, I still do find myself occasionally trying to convince myself to remain quiet and in shadows so no one will notice me. My biggest set backs are my fears and worries. I'm just always reminding myself that both fear and worrying are indications that I'm not putting full faith in God.

There's one quote about worrying that I heard once and it's stuck with me ever since.

"Worry never empties tomorrow of its sorrow, but it does empty it of its strength." Think about it.

No comments: