Monday, January 8, 2007

Lost in the wilderness


I could have lost him forever. What would I have done? How would I have handled the situation? God was definitely looking out for all 8 of them. A bunch of my guy friends from my bible study including Brendan went on a camping trip this weekend. It sounded like great time for them to get together and find their inner men and grow closer in their bond with one another. Us girls had a 2 day long sleepover at Tanya's, which was a lot of fun. It's not that often I allow myself to enter the world of girly. I've always been slightly more tom-boyish in nature. I really enjoyed myself however.

Anyways... the guys drove about 3 hours to Hot Springs, VA area. Then they had to hike and canoe 3 miles to reach their camping destination. Their plan was to be back by around 3 o'clock Sunday afternoon. By 3 we had still not heard a word from anyone. By 8 o'clock there was still no word and we were starting to worry. At first we figured they had just gotten a late start. But, since not one guy had called us to let us know what was going on we were really getting concerned. Finally at 10 o'clock we called the police to report that they had still not returned.

The state trooper ended up finding them. Apparently all the guys were suffering from bouts of hypothermia, some worse off than others. One of my friends has asthma and couldn't breathe. Brendan and a couple of the guys had to canoe back to get out somewhere where they could find reception and call us to let us know everyone was ok. Brendan was telling me that they got stuck in the middle of the lake for 3 hours in the pouring rain and it was so foggy they couldn't see in front of them to know where they were going. They were completely lost. That's so scary. I'm so glad that they made it home ok. I don't know how I would handle it if we had lost anyone.

They definitely have an adventure to spill though. Next time the guys can stay home, watch chick flicks and paint their nails. Us girls will do the camping thing, haha. Of course, not in the dead of winter though.

Anyways... I can't even begin to explain how worried and knotted my stomach was. It was a relief to hear that they were ok and I felt so much better once Brendan walked into that room. I don't care if they were supposedly lacking some inteligence in getting ready to leave sooner or whatever anyone else says... none of that matters right now. They're safe and that's all that truly matters to me at this point.

No comments: